Choose Your Fat
Consume foods that are low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and total fat, like lean meat, fish, poultry, etc. Also include 2 to 3 servings of low-fat dairy foods in diet every day.
Other Preventive Measures include:
- Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. All in all, aim for 5 to 6 servings each day.
- Choose whole-grain foods, such as 100% whole-wheat or whole-grain bread, cereals, pasta, etc.
- Consume 4 to 5 servings per week of nuts, seeds, and dried beans.
- Prefer soft margarine, low-fat mayonnaise, light salad dressing, and unsaturated vegetable oils, like olive, corn, canola, safflower.
- Avoid sweet, sugary foods and beverages.