Does Lemon Help With Bad Breath?
- Lemons are rich in Vitamin C which helps prevent gum inflammation and gum disease – both of which are major causes of bad breath.
- Lemons are a rich source of flavonoids that are powerful natural anti-oxidants and anti-bacterial agents. These help in preventing the harmful bacteria from sticking to the teeth and tongue, which can later result in bad breath.
- Lemon juice improves digestion by enhancing the flow of digestive juices that in turn boost the overall metabolism of the body. This controls the build-up of bad odor-causing bacteria in the gut, reducing the possibility of constipation and subsequent bad breath.
- Although lemon juice is naturally acidic, it has a neutralizing effect when mixed with water. This helps to eliminate the acidic residues of bacteria from the mouth.
- Lemon has a strong, refreshing citrus flavor that works to stimulate saliva flow, which flushes out bad odor-causing bacteria present in the mouth.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Bad Breath
Lemon can be used in a variety of ways to combat the problem of bad breath. Though using a lemon directly is the easiest way to solve the problem, it can also be used as a mouthwash, gargle or even as appetizing lemon ice candies to get rid of foul breath.
Quick tip: Not sure whether you have bad breath or not? Try this simple trick: Lick the inside of your wrist with your tongue (using both sides of the tongue, upper and lower). Allow the saliva to air-dry for a few seconds. Bring your wrist near your nose and smell it. Smells bad? This means you have bad breath. In that case, try out any of the following natural lemon remedies.